This week we asked Google what your most common questions are about websites. Here are the results and our answers…
1. Why is my website down?
Providing you have secure and reliable website hosting, your website should rarely, if ever, be down. However, there are several reasons why your website may appear to be down, including;
- Your internet connection isn’t working – this could make it display something like “this webpage is not available” – in this case, you don’t need to worry about your website – but your internet problem will need fixing, so you will need to contact your internet service provider.
- You have typed the URL of your website in wrong – whether it is a typo, or you have typed in “.com” instead of “.co.uk”, you need to double check that the domain name you have typed in is correct!
- A server has crashed – in which case, you will need to contact your hosting provider and report the issue so that it can be fixed.
- Your IP address has been blocked from the server – there are various reasons that this could happen – again, you will need to contact your hosting provider to get the problem fixed.
- Coding errors – whoever developed your website could have made a mistake with the coding of your website – this can be resolved by contacting the person/company who built your website and reporting the problem to them so that they can fix it ASAP.
- Hackers – your website could have been hacked. If this happens, you will need to contact the person/company who built your website and report the issue to them straight away so that they can look into the issue and fix it, and report any possible hackers.
If your website is hosted by a secure and reputable company, you shouldn’t have to worry about most of the above issues – GML partners with Rackspace, a globally recognised hosting provider – which ensures that all of the websites we build are securely hosted, with minimal risk of any technical issues. See our hosting section of the website for more information!
2. Why is my website slow?
Many of the reasons a website could be running slow are the same as why a website may be down. The most common reasons for a slow website are; if the website has been poorly optimised with images that are too large for the web browser to cope with, the website has been badly coded, slow hosting provider for the website, or if your internet connection is slow.
3. Why is my website not showing on Google?
There are many reasons a website won’t show up on Google search engine results pages (SERP’s). Most, if not all, of which are related to poor SEO (search engine optimisation). Firstly, you need to make sure you haven’t copied and pasted any text from other websites onto your own – this is duplicate content, and Google have algorithms that can recognise this and block your website from showing up on SERP’s. You must have quality content on your websites – this means original information that is relevant to your business and is well-written.
Another reason that your website may not show on Google is if you have not included any meta descriptions, titles, or keywords in your website coding. These are what Google picks up on to find the most relevant search results for the search term that people type into Google.
Bad linking can also be detrimental to your SEO. So if you put links on your website to websites that have no quality content, or are classed as “spammy”, this can poorly affect your chances of showing on SERP’s. There are many other reasons, but these are just a few of the most common. To find out more, please see the SEO section of our website.
GML only supplies secure and reliable hosting solutions, and uses the leading techniques for SEO, to ensure all of our clients have quality and highly ranked websites. If you need help with any of the above, please give us a call on 01603 508066 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
for more information and how we can help you.